Sustainable schools and communities: Towards 2012, the Rio Summit
The commitment of young people to local sustainability (Vitoria-Gasteiz, 26th and 27th of January, 2012)
We, one hundred and one young people from all over the country, have lived and worked together during these three days in Barria, next to the 2012 European Green Capital, to debate on the 9 responsibilities expressed by young people from the whole world which were inscribed in the Youth Charter of Responsibilities: “Let’s take care of the Planet” in Brazil in 2010.
In this manifesto, we wish to make our impressions and dreams known.
• We are young, but as any others we deserve and demand the support and respect that we need for a change towards a sustainable future.
• We are working, here in the CONFINT, towards a better world, since the environment is our society’s most important issue and as that is something we can do in a fun and positive way.
• We meet with young people from different places and cultures, exchanging and expressing various ways towards ecological progress, debating and relating our own experiences.
• We live in a world where money is overrated. The current economic difficulties our society suffers from prevent us from advancing towards the change our world needs.
• However, we feel privileged we could take part in such an important project as the National Children and Youth Conference “Let’s take care of the Planet”, as we would like our ideas to become part of the charter of international responsibilities.
• Finally, we wish for all of our work to be taken into account when building a better world for all of the generations to come. We hope that our decisions will be heard.
We know that this will not remain mere words, since we are
UNITED YOUNG PEOPLE ACTING TOWARDS A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
Vitoria-Gasteiz, 27th of January, 2012